Is someone out there who doesn’t know Lego? Kids all over the world love it. And one can make a lot of money with rare sets. Let me explain to you why this is barely a good idea.
What this post is all about
Have you seen these offers on eBay where Lego sets are offered at insane prices like hundreds and thousands of Euros or Dollars? Why don’t you do that yourself? Let’s make some money the easy way.
What you need to take into Consideration
The calculation is simple – you buy one or more promising kits, store them for a while, and sell them later. But which sets should you buy? What are the requirements? Let me show you some examples:
You can see the pattern – Mostly it’s about merchandise series. There are also other sets that are valuable meanwhile, but they are even rarer.
Why I didn’t make Money with Lego
In fact, I bought two promising sets a while ago. A Ford Mustang for €140. Now the price is €140. The other set is a Y-Wing from the Ultimate Collector’s Edition for €199. Definitely a nice title. Now it costs about €70 – not exactly a win. Back then, I thought it would be a good idea to invest some money in this project. But I can wait.
There is only one problem. Let’s say the price goes up even by three times the original price. Until then, I have to store the pretty big boxes, somewhere. When I move, I will have to take them with me. For years. So looking forward, the profit related to the effort is quite low, isn’t it?
Why you won’t make Money with Lego
- How to find a promising set whose value will rise? You can’t. It’s nothing else than gambling. You never know which sets’ prices will rise in the future. Is it a particular series? Did Lego produce only a little amount of it? You don’t know.
- Think about the effort. Let’s assume you find an appropriate set, and the value rises by three times. Then you make a relatively high profit after years if not decades. Take the inflation into consideration. Take the space you need for storing into consideration. It’s hardly worth it.
- There is something you need to know on top: Lego started to reproduce sets that are offered at high prices. That decreases your chances even more.
- Offering something on eBay doesn’t mean that someone will buy it.
- Last but not least: You have to invest a lot of money upfront. Lego is, by far, not cheap!
What should you do now?
Play with it. That’s the original purpose of Lego. Spend time with your children. Build cars. Build houses. Build whatever comes to your mind. That’s much more worth than losing money by trying to make it.